Friday 9 March 2018

Lots of Shiny Big Bones!

My new cuttlefish bones arrived and they are huge!

I finished the heart casting and it looks amazing.  It needs to be hallmarked though as it weighs over 8g.  I added a 4mm peridot stone to it.

Last night I decided to see if I could cast a ring in the cuttlefish bone.  I did it really quickly thinking it would not work but it did!  Looked odd but it is certainly easier to cuttlefish cast a ring than it is to sand cast one.  It seems to be easier to get the molten silver to flow right around the ring mould.

I tried pushing something into my bone and the bone snapped!  Need to do some research on that.

Anyway, the ring is in the tumbler and here are some photos of the process of the ring finishing.  I forgot to do photos of the actual casting as I was in such a rush.  The first one shows the ring after it has been pickled and with the sprue still attached. The second one shows the ring after sawing off the sprue and the third one is the ring after I had worked on it.  I think it will look good after it has been polished.  Maybe I will add a little gemstone to the top?  Not sure .......





No comments:

Post a Comment

Lots of Shiny Big Bones!

My new cuttlefish bones arrived and they are huge! I finished the heart casting and it looks amazing.  It needs to be hallmarked though as...